A blog about writing, reading, travelling and great characters I meet in life. I love these things more than cheese-on-toast times trampolines times monkeys.

Saturday, 11 June 2011

Doublemint seller - Taipei


I came across this man selling packs of Doublemint gum in Taipei – 15 Taiwanese dollars per pack (around 50 cents). He was asleep standing up, outside Dingxi metro station at 5.30pm on a Thursday.


Doublemint seller:
nine packets of gum to trade
before your day ends.


Arresting attire,
smart blue shirt, grey trousers, hat:
reflection of you.


Doublemint sleeper,
5.30 workers race home;
you snooze while you stand.


Head drooping forwards,
Right knee bending, hands falling
open eyes closing.


Doublemint dreamer,
still you sleep as rush hour fades,
faces smudge to grey.


I like to believe
you have Chinese tea at 6,
at home with your wife.


4 comments:

  1. Awe he makes me sad :(
    Great shots btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan - mixed feelings for me too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing ! What a great shot ! And what a place to fall asleep...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Basile - he was very captivating

    ReplyDelete